Thursday, November 10, 2011

Lip-rageous Haul! - Revlon Lip Butters!

Okay, so we can all agree that I am obsessive when it comes to lip products.  But I think it's justified considering all of the new products coming out right now.  This post is going to be featuring 3 of such new lip products including (drum roll please)....Revlon lip butters, Maybelline's Baby Lips, and Moisture Plus by Carmex!

In case you have been living under a rock and have not heard of the Revlon lip butters, they are basically a cross between a lip balm and a lipstick.  A couple posts ago I mentioned I could not find them anywhere, but I am now seeing them in the drugstore section of my Bed, Bath, and Beyond as well as my local Target.  Most people are saying they've seen them in Rite Aid or Walgreens for a little over $7, but mine were between 5.49 and 6.49 (Bed Bath and Beyond had the cheapest prices!).  Now, from what I had heard the butters were supposed to be fairly sheer, but I have found them to be pretty well pigmented.  What makes them different from regular lipsticks is the amount of hydration they offer.  They give off a moderately glossy appearance, and most people would probably choose to even wear them without a gloss.

 I have 4 colors so far, and I will undoubtedly be going back for even more!  They're really easy to just slide on before you go out the door without having to make sure you apply them perfectly.  There are TONS of colors to choose from (I think 26?), and it would make it very hard to choose except for the fact that there are hardly ever any left!  So I usually pick my 2 favorite colors out of the 5 or 6 that are still available at the store.  The colors I currently own are Sugar Frosting, Peach Parfait, Pink Truffle, and Berry Smoothie.  Don't let these scrumptious names fool you, however.  They are not flavored OR scented!  That was the biggest disappointment, because with all the yummy names, it makes you want to be able to taste them.  Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure:


I really love the packaging on these.  They have the same lids as the Colorburst lip sticks with the quilted pattern, but they are translucent and colored the same shade as the actual product. 


Another feature of the packaging I really enjoy is the see-through top, which allows you to see the actual color of the lip butter inside. This shade is Peach Parfait.
Now for some swatches:


Sugar Frosting: a champagne-y pink with a "frosting" of shimmer


Peach Parfait: shimmery peachy pink


Pink Truffle: creamy, pinkish nude (no shimmer)


Berry Smoothie: pinkish berry with a hint of shimmer


Now, you'll notice that the shimmery shades show up MUCH glossier than the cream shade.  And from the photos, the colors don't look very pigmented, but that's just my lighting.  I tried to show you a little better with some swatches on my arm:



This gives you a little better idea of how the colors come off.  Overall, my favorites are Peach Parfait and Berry Smoothie.  Sugar Frosting is a nice shimmery color, but there's not much color payoff.  Pink Truffle is okay, but a little brown for my skin tone.  I'll defintely have to pair that one with a gloss to make it work for me. 

Have you tried these lip butters yet?  What colors do you love?  Which ones do you hate?

Since this post has gotten LONG, I will include my thoughts on the Maybelline Baby Lips and Carmex's Moisture Plus in my next post.

Let me know if there's other products I should be keeping my eye on!

No comments:

Post a Comment